Logo the music network

New York Judge rejects claims in Kesha vs. Sony case

The year-and-a-half long legal battle between Kesha and Sony Music is drawing to a close. A New York judge has thrown out most of Kesha s allegations. In 2014, Kesha filed lawsuits against producer…

By Poppy ReidPublished Apr 7, 2016
2 min read
new york judge rejects claims in kesha vs sony case

The year-and-a-half long legal battle between Kesha and Sony Music is drawing to a close. A New York judge has thrown out most of Kesha’s allegations.

In 2014, Kesha filed lawsuits against producer Dr. Luke - alleging he sexually and mentally abused her, and in at least one instance raped her - and Sony Music Entertainment, for not allowing her to vacate her contract. Sony Music later offered to give Kesha a different producer but under the same contract.

The preliminary injunction to cut ties between and Sony Music and Kesha was denied by Manhattan Supreme Court judge Shirley Kornreich. Kesha’s motion to appeal was also denied.

Now, in another setback on Wednesday, Judge Shirley Kornreich has rejected Kesha’s claims of infliction of emotional distress, gender-based hate crimes and employment discrimination. According to the NY Times, the Judge cited a lack of evidence and jurisdiction.

However Judge Kornreich has not thrown out the sexual assault and rape claims, but she raised a barrage of suspicion against Kesha on Wednesday. The Judge said “she supplies no dates or specifics” on the rape claim and “describes only two specific instances” of the sexual, physical and verbal abuse that Kesha alleged continued for over a decade.

Also, because one alleged instance of sexual assault happened in 2008, Judge Kornreich found that the allegations were outside the court’s jurisdiction due to statute of limitations. 

Kesha claim that Sony Music knew of and enabled the alleged rape was also questioned. Judge Kornreich said on Wednesday “[Kesha] failed to make the necessary allegations.”

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Meanwhile, no criminal charges have been filed against Dr. Luke and his record label Kemosable Records have countersued Kesha for defamation and breach of contract.

Late last week Kesha took to Instagram to announce she was asked to recant the rape allegation in exchange for vacation of her contract. A spokesperson for Dr. Luke called the post false. “The court repeatedly stated Kesha is already free to record without Dr. Luke, and that she had not presented any facts supporting her claims,” said the spokesperson.

 

Australia’s domestic violence and sexual assault helpline is: 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.