Logo the music network

Donald Trump Slams Green Day and Bad Bunny Ahead of Super Bowl

The president also revealed he wouldn't be at Levi's Stadium next month on February 8th allegedly because the venue is "just too far away." 

By Conor LochriePublished Jan 27, 2026
2 min read
GettyImages 2242199520
Image: Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Donald Trump won't be attending the upcoming Super Bowl.

Speaking to the New York Post, the president revealed he wouldn't be at Levi's Stadium next month on February 8th allegedly because the California venue is "just too far away."

“I’ve [gotten] great hands [at] the Super Bowl. They like me,” Trump said. “I would go if, you know, it was a little bit shorter.”

Trump also criticised the NFL's choice of performers for the Super Bowl, specifically Green Day, who are booked for the pre-game concert, and halftime show headliner Bad Bunny.

“I’m anti-them,” Trump said. “I think it’s a terrible choice. All it does is sow hatred. Terrible.”

Trump has previously spoken out against Bad Bunny's booking, saying in an October interview, “I never heard of him. I don’t know who he is. I don’t know why they’re doing it, it’s crazy, and then they blame it on some promoter that they hired to pick up entertainment. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Bad Bunny and Green Day have both been critical of Trump's presidency, with Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong recently blasting the administration following an ICE shooting in Minnesota.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Jay-Z publicly backed Bad Bunny's selection last October, suggesting the backlash wasn't genuine.

In a brief exchange captured by TMZ while signing memorabilia in New York (as per Rolling Stone), the Roc Nation founder offered a succinct response to questions about the controversy: "They love him. Don't let them fool you."

The Puerto Rican superstar's announcement as the Super Bowl LX performer marked a historic moment, making him the first Latin artist to headline the prestigious event solo.

However, the news sparked criticism from conservative commentators and right-wing figures, who targeted Roc Nation, the NFL, and Apple Music for their decision. Critics particularly focused on Bad Bunny's use of Spanish in his music and his outspoken political stances on immigration issues.

 

 

 

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.