Logo the music network

AC/DC to call it quits?

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford has countered AC/DC’s 40th anniversary tour plans with speculation the iconic Sydney band may call it quits. Speaking with Melbourne’s 3AW radio station this…

By Poppy ReidPublished Oct 27, 2015
2 min read

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford has countered AC/DC’s 40th  anniversary tour plans with speculation the iconic Sydney band may call it quits.

Speaking with Melbourne’s 3AW radio station this morning, Ford suggested the anniversary dates might be cancelled.

"The suggestion is being put to me that the tour will never happen and we will never see AC/DC perform again or record again," he said.

His comments came after an email was sent to Perth station 6PR on Monday; a person who identified themselves as ’Thunderstruck’ told the station, "My information is that Malcolm Young has moved himself and his family back to Australia, he’s very very ill and that AC/DC may well be history."

A report from The Herald Sun also suggests the axing of the tour could be due to the ill health of one member. In 2012 the band announced plans to record a new album however in February this year 66-year-old frontman Brian Johnson told a Florida radio station the 40-date anniversary tour and recording had been put on hold.

“One of our boys was pretty ill, so we didn’t like to say anything,” said Johnson, “and we’re very private about things like this.”

Ford has also sparked rumours that a member is unwell, Tweeting: “There is some quite sad detail about it all, that I will not be reporting on, but the band/management may choose to reveal this.”

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Ford believes an announcement will be made today.

TMN have contacted AC/DC’s Australian publisher/label and will update this piece as further information comes to light.

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.