Logo the music network

Security ramped up at Australian, NZ concerts

Image: Foo Fighters at NIB Stadium in Perth Following the shootings in Paris, Australian promoters are ramping up security for Australia and New Zealand concerts. Backpacks and large bags are banned…

By Christie EliezerPublished Nov 23, 2015
2 min read
security ramped up at australian nz concerts

Image: Foo Fighters at NIB Stadium in Perth

Following the shootings in Paris, Australian promoters are ramping up security for Australia and New Zealand concerts.

Backpacks and large bags are banned from upcoming Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran shows.

Both tours are through Frontier Touring, whose spokesperson said, “Frontier Touring continue to take security measures at concert events extremely seriously. Appropriate measures at all events are undertaken with consideration of the act, the venue and the circumstances at the time.” 

Live Nation Australia’s President Michael Coppel told TMN, “We are in active liaison with all our venue partners to review their security arrangements for upcoming events, as I assume all the major promoters are in relation to their upcoming events.”

Last week Live Nation’s US parent issued a statement, “The safety and security of our shows, fans and venues continues to be our highest priority. Due to the recent events in Paris and in an abundance of caution we have implemented heightened security procedures globally. However, because of the sensitive nature of these protocols, we cannot elaborate further on the specific details.”

Aside from Hermitude this week, upcoming tours through Live Nation in December include Chris Cornell, The Amity Affliction & A Day To Remember and Yelawolf. Pusha T and Gary Clarke Jr follow in January with Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals and St Germain in March.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Michael Chugg of Chugg Entertainment confirmed to TMN, “We will be looking to be more vigilant with bag searches, and look to venues to provide metal detectors.” Pat down searches will be used on patrons wearing bulky clothes.

“We will discuss with venues plans they will surely be implementing,” Chugg expanded. “CCTV is a must for all venues if they have not already to in place. We assume local authorities and police will have ideas for us.”

Chugg’s next major tour is Elton John in December. He is followed in February by CHVRCHES, Funeral For A Friend and Between The Buried & Me, with US country music star Jason Aldean the month after.

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.