Logo the music network

Could a new Adelaide amphitheatre steer more music events outdoors?

Locations at Elder Park, Rymill Park and Botanic Park are currently under review

By Music NetworkPublished Feb 1, 2022
2 min read
a symphonic soiree event header desktop e1643672632374
Melbourne's Myer Music Bowl

With live music fans and promoters preferring to see acts in outdoor spaces, Adelaide City Council is looking at the possibility of building an amphitheatre for live outdoor events.

It will be based on structures including Stage One at WOMADelaide or the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne, with an expansive grassed area that can hold up to 10,000 people and a further 2,000 people undercover.

Lord mayor Sandy Verschoor said locations at Elder Park, Rymill Park and Botanic Park are currently under review as potential sites for the amphitheatre.

"Now is the time, when we are grappling with how we continue to host events safely, to create the infrastructure that enables us to spill outdoors and will bring people to our city to enjoy these shared experiences," Verschoor said.

"Coming together to enjoy sports, music, arts and cultural performances and multicultural celebrations is integral to our city’s reputation."

The council has been working hard to maintain Adelaide’s status as a UNESCO City of Music.

It also wants to create Adelaide streets that can turn to live entertainment, dining, markets and retail spaces “at any time of the day or night, week or month”.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Talks have also been held with the state government to consider strategic investment in legacy infrastructure that "would set our city so it was ‘event ready’, no matter what”.

Meantime, the government has provided a further $1 million to the council for its $1.34 million Adelaide Unleashed initiatives to bring people into the city, drink and eating vouchers, free public transport and parking, and for F&B businesses to expand onto the sidewalks and laneways.

Among these is doubling Friday Night Live incentive scheme to $180,000.

It provides money (up to $4,000 in the first round last year) for musicians to partner with venues for regular programs, and establishments to introduce live gigs indoors or outside on streets.

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.