Logo the music network

Shock Jock Behind 2012 Royal Prank Call Sues Australian Network Over Treatment

The radio host involved in the infamous royal prank call that ended in tragedy has launched legal action against Southern Cross Austereo.

By sarahdowns.nz@gmail.comPublished Jul 8, 2025
3 min read
image 1200x630 54 1
A Current Affair: PR IMAGE

Michael Christian, the radio host involved in the infamous royal prank call that ended in tragedy, has launched legal action against Southern Cross Austereo over his treatment following the 2012 incident.

Christian alleges, as reported by The Guardian, he was instructed by 2Day FM's production team to make the prank call to London's King Edward VII hospital, where Princess Catherine (then Duchess of Cambridge) was being treated for severe morning sickness during her first pregnancy. The call, in which Christian and co-host Mel Greig impersonated then-Prince Charles and Queen Elizabeth, led to nurse Jacintha Saldanha taking her own life days later.

Now, nearly 13 years after the incident, Christian has filed a lawsuit in federal court claiming the broadcaster failed to provide promised support when the prank spiralled into a global scandal. According to court documents, Christian believed Southern Cross Austereo would "step in" if content from its "shock jocks" ever crossed the line.

Instead, Christian alleges the company allowed him and Greig to "be left exposed to relentless public vitriol, harassment and abuse, including death threats" while avoiding accountability themselves. His legal team stated: "The radio presenters were left by SCA as the convenient fall guys and scapegoats for SCA management decisions and non-compliance."

Christian, who began working at 2Day FM just two days before the infamous call, claims the prank breached the Australian Communications and Media Authority code of practice. He alleges that in early 2013, the broadcaster promised to help restore his reputation and rebuild his career, which prevented him from pursuing legal action at the time.

However, the lawsuit contends that Southern Cross Austereo failed to deliver on these promises, providing neither meaningful health support nor a public relations campaign to rebuild his professional standing. Christian claims he was "gradually marginalised" within the organisation despite remaining loyal.

The legal action follows Christian's redundancy in February 2025, which he alleges was not genuine as "SCA still requires Mr Christian's former role to be performed." He is seeking penalties, compensation for economic loss, and damages.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Former co-host Mel Greig previously made a tearful apology to Saldanha's family at an inquest in 2014, placing blame on the radio station and commercial radio culture. Meanwhile, Rhys Holleran, SCA's chief executive during the incident, told the ABC earlier this year that he suffers anxiety about the situation, stating: "I have always felt completely and utterly responsible for this."

Southern Cross Austereo has yet to respond to the lawsuit, which is awaiting a federal court date.

An SCA spokesperson told The Music Network: "As the matter is currently before the courts, and out of respect for the legal process and the privacy of those involved, it would be inappropriate for us to comment at this time."

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.