Logo the music network

New stalemate for pill testing at Groovin’ The Moo Canberra show

It seems the festival’s promoter Cattleyard Promotions is the cause, according to The Canberra Times.

By Unknown AuthorPublished Apr 3, 2018
2 min read
Pill Testing Canberra
Image: Sitthixay Ditthavong

The Australian Capital Territory government and the festival site owner the University of Canberra, have flashed the green light.

But the proposed first pill-testing at a festival in the ACT – at Groovin The Moo on April 29 – seems to have hit a stalemate.

It seems the festival’s promoter Cattleyard Promotions is the cause, according to The Canberra Times.

Last month, the promoter had told triple j it was open to the idea of the STA-SAFE's drug-checking pilot, saying in a statement, “Cattleyard Promotions is currently participating in consultation with all stakeholders.”

But the goalposts have been moved, according to The Canberra Times.

It says that a letter between ACT Health Minister Meegan Fitzharris and Cattleyard – seen by Fairfax Media – is that the promoter’s support for the tests are “contingent” on a list of requirements being met.

The Canberra Times stated, “It's understood some of the demands can't be met under current ACT laws.”

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Cattleyard could not be reached by TMN to expand on what some of these requirements were.

The idea of pill testing in the ACT has fallen on Groovin The Moo and Split Milk.

The first test was delayed because it was deemed there was not enough time to host the tests.

One set for Spilt Music 2017 at Commonwealth Park was canned some weeks out by promoter Kicks Entertainment.

It claimed that STA-SAFE had not supplied in time licence documents needed to get to the National Capital Authority which runs Commonwealth Park.

But Gino Vumbaca of the consortium said the additional documents had only been requested two days before, and lawyers had been working "around the clock" to get them ready,

Another STA-SAFE member Dr. David Caldicott told the ABC he believed the promoter was pressured to change its mind.

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.