Logo the music network

Safework NSW Completes Investigation into Bluesfest Concerns

Safework NSW has confirmed it has completed enquiries into concerns raised from last month's Bluesfest in a new statement.

By Neil GriffithsPublished May 9, 2025
2 min read
bluesfest 2025 pic kurt petersen e1745886074941
Bluesfest 2025Image: Kurt Petersen

Safework NSW has completed enquiries into concerns raised from last month's Bluesfest.

Earlier this week, the workplace health and safety regulator confirmed that it had received five requests for service following the 2025 event, "in relation to security, crowd control, traffic management and access to and from venues".

In a statement given to The Music Network on Friday (May 9th), Safework NSW said that it will not be taking any further action.

"SafeWork NSW has completed its Bluesfest event enquiries about concerns raised which are under its jurisdiction," a spokesperson for SafeWork NSW said.

"SafeWork NSW does not propose to take any further action based on its assessment of the work health and safety controls that were in place at the festival."

Bluesfest 2025 reported an attendance of 109,000, with performances from heavyweights like Tom Morello, Chaka Khan, Crowded House, Vance Joy, Toto, and Missy Higgins.

Though it was originally billed as the final event, organisers have confirmed that Bluesfest will return in 2026.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

“Bluesfest is an institution,” director Peter Noble told The Music Network when asked if the show would go on into the late 2020s and beyond.

“I don’t know yet, and I’m not getting any younger. Certain things are going to have to happen now for it to move into the next decade.

“And once all those things are put in place, I don’t see any reason why it won’t.”

Bluesfest is one of five brands that secured a “financial lifeline” from the NSW Contemporary Music Festival Viability Fund, alongside Yours and Owls, Lost Paradise, Listen Out and Field Day. Considerably more is needed for an “industry that is severely underfunded by government,” Noble said.

Though no acts have been announced for the 2026 edition of Bluesfest, Noble can confirm one item: “I’ll be working my butt off making it.”

Bluesfest 2026 is set to go ahead from April 2nd-5th.

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.