Logo the music network

Jonny Greenwood Wants 'Melania' Doc to Remove 'Phantom Thread' Score

Jonny Greenwood and Paul Thomas Anderson aren't happy about one aspect of the new Melania Trump documentary.

By Conor LochriePublished Feb 10, 2026
2 min read
jonny greenwood
Image: Andrew Benge/Redferns

Jonny Greenwood and Paul Thomas Anderson aren't happy about one aspect of the new Melania Trump documentary.

As per Rolling Stone, the Radiohead musician and Hollywood director have requested that a portion of the score from the latter's film Phantom Thread be removed from Melania.

While Brett Ratner's documentary has its own score, helmed by Tony Neiman, it also features several notable needle drops including a snippet of Greenwood's acclaimed Phantom Thread score.

In a new statement, Greenwood and Anderson said they were not made aware of the music’s use in the documentary until after it was released.

“While Jonny Greenwood does not own the copyright in the score, Universal failed to consult Jonny on this third-party use which is a breach of his composer agreement,” a rep told Rolling Stone. “As a result Jonny and Paul Thomas Anderson have asked for it to be removed from the documentary.”

Songs by Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Elvis Presley, James Brown, and more also feature in the documentary.

Melania, which was released last month, cost a reported $75 million to make and promote. It's Ratner's first major project in over a decade, after he faced accusations of sexual assault by multiple women. (Ratner has denied the allegations.)

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Melania has been plagued by controversy since its release.

Heading into its second weekend of release, the film had a 99% audience score compared to a paltry 7% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes, leading the website's parent company Versant to deny any tampering had occurred. The notable divide between the scores had led many to wonder if bots had been used to drive up the audience score.

“There has been no bot manipulation on the audience reviews for the ‘Melania’ documentary,” Versant said in a statement to Variety. “Reviews displayed on the Popcornmeter are VERIFIED reviews, meaning it has been verified that users have bought a ticket to the film.”

 

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.