Logo the music network

Former Turnstile Guitarist Facing Life Sentence After Charge Upgrade

Former Turnstile guitarist Brady Ebert is now facing life in prison after a change to his attempted murder charge. 

By Conor LochriePublished May 4, 2026
2 min read
brady ebert turnstile
Image: Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

Former Turnstile guitarist Brady Ebert is now facing life in prison after a change to his attempted murder charge.

After intentionally driving his car into the father of Turnstile frontman Brendan Yates, Ebert was initially charged with second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault.

As per Rolling Stone, this has now been upgraded to first-degree attempted murder, following a decision by a Montgomery Country grand jury.

If Ebert is convicted on this amended charge, he faces life in prison. In comparison, the previous second-degree charge carried a maximum 30-year sentence. He is also facing charges of attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, and two counts of second-degree assault.

Ebert's next court date is set for May 8th. He has previously claimed he's innocent, telling a district court commissioner, “This is pure self-defence.”

His former band previously addressed the incident in a statement.

“Turnstile cut ties with Brady Ebert in 2022 in response to a consistent pattern of harmful behaviour affecting himself, the band, and the community,” they said in the statement. “After exhausting every available resource to support his access to help and recovery, a boundary ultimately had to be set when healthy communication was no longer possible and he began threatening violence.

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

The band's statement continued: “In the years since, his baseless tirades have continued in public. We never addressed it. We chose to protect his privacy and the circumstances around his departure, even when he did nothing to be deserving of that protection. Over the past few months, his threats only escalated further. … We have no language left for Brady.”

They played a video of Brendan's father Bill on the big screen. The video seemed to be filmed before the attack, with Bill thanking fans for their support of Turnstile.

“I’m Bill Yates, I’m the proud father of Brendan. They’re all sons of mine," he said in the video.

"They’ve been practicing in the house for 13 years. Just recently they vacated the basement. Finally, after a dozen years, the larger the venue the better. They just enjoy the energy.

"All the fans out there: we love you, and Turnstile loves you. Enjoy the ride."

READ MORE ABOUT

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.