Logo the music network

Israel fines New Zealanders for encouraging Lorde to cancel Tel Aviv concert

Lorde's cancelled concert in Israel has developed into a landmark legal case

By Lars BrandlePublished Oct 12, 2018
2 min read
Screen Shot 2018 02 05 at 11.06.59 am

Lorde’s decision to scrap her scheduled concert in Israel could have financial ramifications.

An Israel court has ordered two New Zealanders to pay fines and damages totalling NZ$18,000 for harming the “artistic welfare” of three Israeli teenagers after the singer canned her show, booked for July 2018 in Tel Aviv.

Judge Mirit Fohrer told Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court that the two women, Justine Sachs and Nadia Abu-Shanab, must pay out for writing a letter which may have contributed to Lorde’s u-turn.

The teens, Shoshana Steinbach, Ayelet Wertzel and Ahuva Frogel, bought tickets to the show and, in a suit served in January, argued the cancelation caused “damage to their good name as Israelis and Jews,” The Jerusalem Post reports.

It’s considered to be one of the first cases under the controversial 2011 Israeli Anti-Boycott Law, which allows for civil litigation by anyone who can claim economic harm from a boycott against the state. Critics argue the law stifles free expression.

Lorde Lorde's cancelled Israel concert has turned into a legal drama.

Sachs and Abu-Shanab last year wrote an open letter to Lorde in which they called on her to “take a stand” and “join the artistic boycott of Israel.” The “Royals” singer replied to a tweet of the letter saying “Noted! Been speaking (with) many people about this and considering all options. Thank u for educating me i am learning all the time too.” Soon after, she cancelled the show. In a statement posted on Christmas Eve 2017, the singer wrote, “I’m not proud to admit I didn’t make the right call on this one.”

Newsletter BackgroundNewsletter Background
THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter
By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.

Her decision didn’t go down quietly. An Orthodox Jewish rabbi responded by taking out a full-page ad in The Washington Post with the headline “Lorde And New Zealand Ignore Syria To Attack Israel.” The ad also carried the phrase, “21 Is Young To Become A Bigot.”

Quite how the young Israeli trio will collect the money is another matter. A spokesperson for the New Zealand ministry of foreign affairs told The Guardian, “Whether a foreign judgment is enforceable in New Zealand will be governed by the laws of New Zealand and is a question for the Courts of New Zealand to determine.”

READ MORE ABOUT

More from The Music Network

THE MUSIC NETWORK NEWSLETTER

Reporting from inside the Australian music business since '94.

Get our top stories straight to your inbox daily by signing up to our Newsletter

By providing your information, you agree to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Policy. We use vendors that may also process your information to help provide our services.